CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Chapter 1: Torn

                "You're what?!" Kendyl asks, wide eyed, the sink she was attempting to fix forgotten. Kate sobs into her hands in response. Kate had arrived through the back door a few minutes ago, dry eyed but quiet, silently watching her sister try to master the faucet. Then she said two words: I'm pregnant. "But you are only 17! Do Mom and Dad know? I didn't even know you were having sex!" The words tumbled out of her mouth without pause. 

                "I wasn't!" Kate looks up at Kendyl, beautiful even with red-rimmed eyes. Kendyl always hated that. When Kendyl cried it was all snot and blotchy skin, not a pretty sight; although she would die if anyone ever saw her crying. "I mean, obviously, I did, but it was only once and...it was a mistake! A horrible mistake! Mom and Dad can't know! They would kill me! Oh God, I don't know what to do!"
                That was only too true. Kate was their youngest, their baby, not to mention the Golden Child. After three boys and a girl who might as well have been a boy, little Katie was put on a pedestal for her preference for pink, dolls, and dresses. She took ballet and piano lessons while Kendyl worked in the garage with her older brothers on cars. Kate would cry if one of her frilly dresses had even a speck of dirt and Kendyl would relish the accomplishment of being covered head to foot in mud. 

                Neither sister has changed much,  Kate, at seventeen, is head cheerleader and prom queen and Kendyl,  at twenty-two, has a new job in the military and enjoys Sim Fu. The only thing that changed was Jeffrey McGee...the hot neighbor who moved in about six months ago. Kendyl saw the moving truck in front of the house and went to offer assistance, but ended up stuttering out the offer. He graciously ignored her embarrassment and accepted.  As he had handed her boxes, chatting about his move and his old hometown, he had her blushing and giggling like a girl. Her reaction had completely mystified her and she vowed not to let it happen again. True to her word, she was more herself the next time she ran into him, though she had butterflies the entire time, and over time, they became fast friends.

                Kendyl frowned past Kate at the leaking sink, each drip a constant reminder that he has been absent for nearly two months. Jeffrey was using his vacation time to build homes in third world countries, which just adds to his desirability, but he was there with Celine Etoile Manette. The goody-two shoes is probably batting her pretty little eyes at him as he pounds and screws. The thought drove her nuts.

                A renewed bout of sniffles brought Kendyl out of her unwanted reverie. "Who's the father? Have you told him?" She asked, continuing where she left off,  "How far along are you?"  She led Kate to the table and grabbed a box of tissue, all the while searching Kate's perfect figure for a baby bump, but there was none to see.
                "About 8 weeks I guess. After I missed my second cycle, I took the test." She glared up at me and said, "As for the father, I don't ever want to talk about him. He's done in my life, over, and I don't want him to know about this. I don't want anyone to know about it."

                Kendyl threw her hands up in surrender and watched as Kate straightened out the tissues. I bet it was Caleb.  Eight weeks ago, they had thrown Jeffrey a going away party and the whole time Caleb followed Kate around like a love sick puppy. He was such a good guy, but he wasn't lucky in love and Kate never saw him that way. Kendyl got too caught up in partying though and had to be helped home early when she vomited in a vase to the cheers of the crowd. From what she heard though, someone spiked the punch and Kate got tipsy too so she might have fallen for his charms, but then again there were lots of guys there that took a liking to her.
                "So what are you going to do, Kate?"  Kendyl asks softly, trying to tear Kate's attention from her manic need to straighten everything.
                "Hmmm...oh...I.... " Kate's eyes dart around the room, looking for an escape that isn't there and accidently rips the delicate tissue. " I just don't know!" Realizing what she has done, she cries even harder. She isn't strong enough to handle this...
                Kendyl stands and pulls Kate into a tight hug, letting her sob on her shoulder. After a few minutes, Kate calms down and sheepishly pulls back and says, "Sorry. I've soaked your outfit..." Kendyl laughs at how inconsequential the comment is compared to what she is going through and Kate can't help, but laugh with her.

                A sad smile on her lips, Kendyl says, "If you want my advice, I'd suggest you think about it for a few days. You just found out and you really need to process the situation before you make any haste decisions. And..." Kendyl brows knit as she continues, "I'd really suggest you consider letting the father know." Kate opens her mouth to object, angry at the mere suggestion, but Kendyl continues on. "I know, I know. I'm not saying you need to be with him or anything, but he should know. It's his right as the father and you should both talk about the decision together."
                Kate frowns at the ground and doesn't reply for a few minutes. "I'll think about it..." Kendyl can tell though that Kate's mind is already made up. "I've got to go. Mom and Dad will begin to wonder where I'm at.  You should get Jeffrey to fix that for you." She turns and walks out the door without saying goodbye, leaving Kendyl alone with the leaking sink and an aching heart.  

**Thanks to Sashraf for her Loaded Little Starter and Reachsims for her Cozy Starter for Boo and Bloo**

2 comments:

Whisperingtruth said...

I like the story so far. Great entry in Paulio's contest! :) It's nice to find another blog to follow. I have a few of my own as well.

CLarin said...

Thanks! I appreciate it! I'll have to check out your blogs too!

Post a Comment